Friday, December 09, 2005

A Commentary on PC

I am not normally a fan of Phil Hunt. Frankly, he seems to do more to piss me off when I read what he posts about than the average numbnuts from online. Our views of software couldn't be more opposed, frex, and our geopolitics couldn't be more different. That said, I still read his blog now and again.

What? Why? Isn't that a waste?

Ted Rall also pisses me off 99% of the time, but I still read him now and again. It's not to have something to laugh about, but because if you don't at least try to listen to the other side of the debate, you're not going to be able to have much of a discussion. All you have is a mutual ranting session. For politics to work, you have to have discussion and some sort of concensus. Or at least mutual equal pain.

The same thing applies to Phil. When it comes to the software world, his side is virtually opposing for what I believe. I am not necessarily the full opposite end of the patent and copyright issue like say, Microsoft, but I am definitely on the other end of the spectrum from Phil's POV.

Now and again, Phil has a gem about politics. This one is an insightful one rather than a giggle or snort. That is not meant as a stab at Phil, but rather a neutral comment. Those in the know prolly would find my blog a giggle at times too. However, his commentary about political correctness and its rules seems to be damned insightful.

It's something that we're going to be stuck with for the next...*thinks*...20 to 30 years too. Alas. At least until the Boomers have waned in their political power. Who'd thunk that the 1960s would have as much of an impact on American (and possibly British, but I know not) politics as the 1940s and 1930s did?

It will be interesting to see if the 90s and Oughts will have much of an impact politically since the X/Yers and Millenials are going through their formative stages then and now.


No comments: